The following guidelines are provided to help ensure that all of our community gardeners enjoy their time in the garden and experience an abundant harvest.
- Well water is provided by Bethel Church. Please make sure hoses are turned off when you have finished watering your garden – we don’t want an empty well. DON’T DRINK THE WATER! It hasn’t been tested.
- The law says no pesticides are allowed! Do not use any commercial weed killers. An organic weed and insect remedy can be prepared by mixing: 4 cups (1 litre) white vinegar, ¼ cup (50 ml) salt & 2 tablespoons (30 ml) liquid dish soap. Spray onto weeds or insects, but be careful not to spray on your plants!
- Plant your plot by June 6. If this is a problem, talk to the garden administrator.
- We are working on a compost heap. Until then, please place yard waste in the paper bags. You can either take it home for your garbage collection day, or we’ll put it at the road by the church.
- We advise you to bring your gardening tools home. The gate is not locked at night, so if you leave them it’s at your own risk. There haven’t been problems, but we don’t want you to lose your tools!
- Keep your plot as tidy as possible during the season. If you are having difficulty keeping up with your garden or leaving for a few weeks of vacation, let us know! We can work together and help each other out.
- The pathways do get weedy! Please do your part and weed the paths around your plot.
- Clean up your plot at the end of the season. If you desire to plant perennials and garden in the same plot next year, talk to the garden administrators.
- Don’t rely on bathroom facilities – the church is locked when no one is there.
- Well behaved pets are welcome! Please pick up after them.
- The house next to the church is not the parsonage – please do not knock on the door. If you need help and the church is locked, called 905-689-7796 and leave a message. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Enjoy your season of gardening!